The defending Cascade Cup Champion Helena Bighorns finished their exhibition season with a loss to the Idaho Jr. Steelheads tonight. The loss gives them an overall record of 3-2 this exhibition season. They split a two game series with Idaho and last weekend they went 2-1 against the Boulder (CO) Bison.
The Bighorns played a relatively sound hockey in all their exhibition games and are now getting focused on the upcoming start to the regular season. “We played consistently better over the 5 games.” stated Bighorns head coach Scott Cunningham. “We still have some things to work on but it is early and we have two weeks before our season opener. We will continue to work hard to prepare for a great start.”
Tonight’s game with the Steelheads was a well fought battle that saw both teams getting chances to make a difference. The shots were 34-20 in favor of Idaho, but just under half of those chances game in the second period when it seemed like Helena was on cruise control. Helena out scored Idaho in the first period and tied them in the third; the second period was the deciding one tonight. That’s when the Steelheads out scored the Bighorns 3-1.
- Helena Bighorns at 15:44 – Michael Wall from Chase Kimberling and Connor Smith
- Helena Bighorns at 2:27 – Cody Hess from Michael Sullivan and Wyatt Winfield
- Jr. Steelheads at 11:48 – Victor Karlsson from Zaid Hussein
Jr. Steelheads at 12:17 – Patrick Anderson from Ryan Maul and Luke Hayes
Jr. Steelheads at 15:20 – Patrick Anderson from Ryan Maul
- Jr. Steelheads at 2:49 (PP) – Patrick Anderson from Stephen Rock and Austin Reilly
- Helena Bighorns at 16:53 (PP) – Adam Johnson from Taylor Laneville and Zack Maxwell
The Bighorns now have two big weeks of practice to get ready for their season opener which will be Friday October 2nd against the Billings Bulls at the Helena Ice Arena @ 7:30pm.